Earthwatch is an international environmental nonprofit organization that engages people in scientific field research and education. To achieve our mission, we offer research expeditions at exciting locations around the globe. Participants on these expeditions assist top scientists as they investigate important questions about how we can better protect our planet.
Location: Boston, MA
Position Type: Full time, salaried, exempt
The Development Coordinator is primarily responsible for providing core department operations support for the Development Department, including gift processing, donor receipts/acknowledgement, data entry and retrieval, fiscal reporting, prospect research, and maintaining the overall integrity of donor and development records. Additionally, the Coordinator, Development Operations will provide administrative support to the Chief Development Officer, Executive Director and Development staff as needed. The Development Coordinator will contribute both independently and as a team member to the overall fundraising and stewardship efforts of the organization by performing the essential functions listed below.
- Process and enter incoming cash/check, credit card, online and phone donations daily.
- Notify Development and Finance departments of gifts received daily.
- Field incoming phone and email inquiries daily.
- Acknowledge donations semiweekly.
- Work closely with the Chief Development Officer, Executive Director, and development team to accurately track, record, and acknowledge major, restricted, and special gifts and pledges.
- Identify and route donors and donations through a tiered Donor Relations & Stewardship system.
- Work directly with Finance Department to produce revenue reports on a daily, monthly, annual and one-off basis.
- Conduct research and create/maintain profiles on annual fund, volunteer, major gift, planned gift, and board prospects.
- Maintain a high level of database integrity by performing weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual database audits.
- Provide daily general office support by sorting and distributing the organization’s mail.
- Provide administrative support for donor, board, volunteer and local community events as needed.
- Troubleshoot and correct database and donation webpage errors with Director of Annual Giving & Advancement Services and IT Department as necessary.
- Recruit and manage Development Department interns and office volunteers as needed.
- Assist with department mailings, filing and other administrative tasks as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- Working knowledge of Excel, Word, Outlook and the Internet.
- Ability to simultaneously work from multiple tabs/windows across multiple programs.
- Ability to adopt new software tools quickly and effectively. (Comprehensive training will be provided.)
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and fluctuating workload.
- Excellent attention to detail, organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Pro-active problem-solver.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Experience with relational databases preferred.
- Experience in a development/fundraising setting preferred.
- Experience with prospect research preferred.
- Interest in environmental sustainability and/or non-profit fundraising preferred.
Send cover letter and resume to HR@earthwatch.org.
No phone calls please.
We only accept applicants who are already eligible to work in the United States.
Salary to commensurate with experience.